06 February, 2008

The Martyrs of Japan

Although the link I have above suggests the date for this celebration is the 5th February, I have put this on the 6th as in the CofE lectionary.

This martyrdom was 410 years ago this year. It does appear to have been a very political execution, with one side first supporting and then banning Christianity. What is amazing to me is that Christians carried on worshipping in secret for 250 years. I know very little about Japan, or its religions, even though I have a good friend and colleague who is Japanese and attends our church. Her family were, I think, Presbyterian, and I get the impression her church was traditional but very un-ceremonial.

Incidentally there appears to be a very cute church in Jersey that is dedicated to these martyrs. And this book also looks very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home