21 March, 2008

Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, Reformation Martyr, 1556

Today is of course, also, Good Friday, yesterday Maundy Thursday. With my husband, also an ex-low-church Anglo-Catholic convert, I was discussing the fact that we had never really seen the "point" of Maundy Thursday. Of course, in churches that do not emphasise the Eucharist, the very first Eucharist would not particularly be commemorated.

Cranmer, as well as some fairly devious, some would say, loophole-finding on behalf of our old friend Henry VIII, is particularly known for his work on the Book of Common Prayer. In this one can find two different approaches to the Eucharist - the approach that says this is the Body and Blood, and the approach that suggests we "do this in remembrance". At our church it seems to be the whim of the server on that particular day which form of words we get. I like that - it can challenge me or comfort me depending on my thinking on any particular day, as God wishes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home